Tuesday, April 24, 2012

The one to ponder.

Today, I got slapped in the face twice.  Twice.  Of course I mean figuratively.. but shesh.

The first time was around lunch time when I was doing the Jesus Calling devotional for April 24.

It said: I am always with you, so you have no reason to be afraid.  Your fear often manifests itself in excessive planning.  Your mind is so accustomed to this pattern of thinking that you are only now becoming aware of how pervasive it is and how much it hinders your intimacy with Me.  Repent of this tendency and resist it, whenever you realize you are wandering down this well-worn path.  return to My Presence, which always awaits you in the present moment.  I accept you back with no condemnation.

Boom. Face. Slapped.

Im a planner.  && l haven't realized how it negatively affects me.

Second slap:  like I just said, I am a planner, therefore I am always on the go.  Im multitasking always.  I've even caught myself talking on the phone, brushing my teeth, printing lecture slides off and packing my lunch at the same time.  Chaos.

Today, I heard a guest speaker talk about mindfulness.  She defined mindfulness being present in the moment, fully accepting & nonjudgmental. Oh my word.  I loved that.  I think I am the only person in the room that pulled out her notebook to take notes... and started writing like a mad woman.  Some major points that I personally took away was:

- Anxiety can be an internal anchor we like to hold on due to familiarity.. when you realize you have this thought, focus on external things (not your internal anxiety).
-Figure out your autopilot.  Your autopilot is the thing that narrows your focus & doesn't allow you to see the whole picture.
-Recognize that every thought you have isn't true. (Basic example "I can't dance")
-Be open and receptive to stressful moments in order to see the whole picture.  Be open to them creates the greater possibility of conquering that task or moment.
-Pain within a moment can turn into great suffering.. when you recognize pain, turn your thoughts towards the positives of the moment, not the future.

I know it sounds so yoga-like.  But I ate that mess up.  I was encouraged to slow my life down.  To be present when some calls && not just stick the phone up to my ear so I can do my own thing.  To not hide from pain, but realize it can be conquered.  To recognize the things that hinder me from seeing the big picture.  To full accepting to whatever the moment brings.  To stay away from judgement and be open to all things that come.

Ahh. it's heavy, I know.. but be mindful of it.
Happy Tuesday.

iTunes Tuesday plug:
one of my absolute favorite songs.

2 comments:

  1. I LOVE THIS. ALL OF IT! and you of course! :)
    -Lindsey

    ReplyDelete
  2. So.very.true! I love you!

    Mom

    ReplyDelete